Nottingham Trent University’s School of Animal, Rural and Environmental Sciences is a thriving specialist science department based at Brackenhurst Campus in Nottinghamshire. It has links to employers both in the UK and abroad and an established reputation in land-based education reflecting Brackenhurst’s ‘farm-to-fork’ ethos.
As part of its Food Science and Technology specialism, NTU offers a number of training solutions for the food and drink sector. These include short courses, apprenticeships, degree courses and bespoke training.
Apprenticeships provide a productive and effective way to grow talent and develop a motivated, skilled and qualified workforce. NTU currently offers the following apprenticeships in the sector:
- Level 3 Food Technologist Advanced Apprenticeship
- Level 4 Hygiene Specialist Higher Apprenticeship
- Level 6 Food Industry Technical Professional Degree Apprenticeship
Short courses are aimed at professionals looking to gain further qualifications or CPD to enhance their career.
As an approved training and exam provider for the Royal Society of Public Health (RSPH), NTU offers the following range of RSPH short courses:
- Level 2 Food Safety for Food Manufacturing
- Level 3 Award in Food Safety for Food Manufacturing
- Level 4 Award in Managing the HACCP System
- Level 4 Award in Managing Food Safety and Hygiene (Manufacturing)
In addition, NTU also offers the following full-time degree courses:
- BSc (Hons) Food Science and Technology
- FdSc Artisan Food Production
NTU has designated food laboratories where students benefit from using a variety of industry standard pilot plant. Equipment and facilities include those for manufacturing meat, cereal and milk products where processes such as continuous and batch pasteurising, milling and mixing, and preserving and packaging can be explored. The microbiology laboratory allows students to gain experience in analytical methods using chemical and technical processes. The product innovation laboratory is equipped with sensory analysis facilities and small-scale product development equipment.